Eva and I are sitting here in the sun on a lazy Sunday afternoon. David is grilling steaks, but had to run into town for some more propane. As we sit here, Eva is looking through my make-up bag: "I'm just curious, mom." She tells me, "You don't wear your make-up very often, I think... maybe if you wear it to school your students won't recognize you." I tell her that maybe that's true. Eva says, "I wore make-up once,when I was a girly,girl. But I stopped. That's what I did."
then, she tells me, "When I get older, I don't think I will wear make-up." I respond, "Well if you do or don't that's fine. You can do either." She tells me, " I'll just put it on my husband." I tell her, "Eva, what if your husband doesn't like to wear make-up... some boys don't?" She isn't worried, she tells me, "I'll marry a boy... I'll just find one who does." I wonder if in 20 years, that statement will be true, and I wonder if I want it to be.
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment