Saturday, July 14, 2007

Fair & Sunny

Eva got to go to the County fair today, not that it's such a huge fair, but it's some excitement in a small town. It was a perfect sunny day in the mid 70's with a cool breeze. Baba, Eva and Granny got there early and had the opportunity to watch the parade (I was in it) and in the process Eva got at least a gallon of candy, two rulers, three beaded necklaces, a compass, a pencil, a frisbee and a popscicle. After I got done changing following the parade, I joined the rest of the family & we got to eat some fair food, then we looked at the animals and exhibits. Eva is very interested in the animals, and although I know I should have expected it, I didn't. She led the way up and down and up and down the rows, exclaiming over the baby cows, making all the animal noises, naming them and impressing her mommy. After we finished with all the animals, we went to the ride section. Eva cried after the first ride on the Merry-go-Round when she had to get off, so she got to go for another. She liked the cars that went in circles, especially the stirring wheel component. She cried when the train ride got over because she wanted to do that one again, but she didn't like the one with the flying bugs that went in circles and up and down at the same time. That one she insisted, "No like it, ride." Then, she started crying... they let her off early. We looked at all the indoor exhibits... the 4H displays, the flowers, the marketing stands... and then had some more fair food before heading home. We didn't get home until 3:00, which meant that Eva missed her nap. Well, she slept for the fifteen minutes it took to get home, which was just enough for her to insist that she already napped and refuse another one in the house. We went swimming in our pool, but she mostly whined through that. She ate lots of candy... until mommy put it up and earned more whining. She helped me pay the bills and well there are a few of them that have some extra scribbling on it due to her contribution. Then, I put my very tired, and whiney baby to bed, in her own, big girl bed. This is night two of the transition to her own bed. She insisted as we climbed the stairs that she wanted to "sleep in baba and mommy's bed." I told her she was a big girl and was going to sleep in her own bed. She ran to our room, I picked her up (poor baby) and put her in her bed. She cried for maybe a minute, then she stopped and got down to the business of falling asleep. Tonight I didn't even sit in the room with her, instead I came here and began to write this post. I just checked on her and she's asleep. I am not complaining, but I did expect this transition to be much harder than it has been so far. We might have a hard night still ahead of us, but days 1 and 2 have been very easy. This has been another long day and another good day for Eva. She enjoyed herself immensely. David and I made the comment that this was probably the best fair we've ever been to also, a fact that has more to do with the toddler who went with us than the fair itself.

No comments: