Saturday, July 14, 2007

Big Girl

Last night Eva slept in her very own big girl bed by herself... yes, David and I had our bed to ourselves.

Granny doesn't use her bed anymore, so I got it out and put it up when the family was visiting. Now they're gone, I decided to move it up to Eva's room. Last night she helped me, we talked about how she was a big girl and that she was going to sleep on her very own big girl bed all by herself. We talked about how her cousins all slept by themselves in big kid beds. She helped me make it up, we read a story, we had kisses and cuddles, we said goodnight then I went and sat in the door of the room with my head down and my body language closed up. Once Eva whined, "Mommy sleep too." I didn't respond, so she just laid on the bed watching me until she fell asleep... it took about 15 minutes. It was easier than I thought it would be. She looks so little, sleeping all by herself, in her Great-Grandmother's double bed. She seems to have slept soundly, in fact, she's still asleep. I, on the other hand, spent the entire night restless and waking up to listen for her. Although, I must admit, it was nice not to be sleeping on the very edge of the bed or to be kicked in the side during the middle of the night.

I don't know if tonight will go as seemless, but we're committed to making this move permanent. She has definitely attached so does not need the family bed for that anymore. There are still the nights that she cries in her sleep for "My mommy." Usually, I stroke her on her back and she cuddles next to me and falls back asleep. Now, she's in her own bed, it may entail her waking fully up before she calms down. We'll just deal with it as it comes.

No comments: