Friday, December 15, 2006

Eva topics

So, Eva now uses both words "no" and "yes" about evenly. Most the time she even uses them appropriately... listens to what you say, thinks about it and then answers with the appropriate answer. Well, David and Eva have had a nightly game/struggle about going to sleep. (You can decide for yourself which one views it as a game and which one views it as a struggle.) Eva wants to stay awake, which means thrashing and kicking. David doesn't want to be bruised or go to work with a shiner, so he tells her, "Hold still, it's time to go to sleep." Half an hour later, it's progressed to "Baba said to hold still, you're being naughty. Now be a good girl and go to sleep." Eventually David gets through to her and she stops kicking, which means she has to hold still and then she falls asleep. David sighs in exasperation and claims that the next night she won't kick anymore. Last night as we were going to bed, David asked Eva "Are you going to be a good girl tonight?" She listened to him, thought about it and said emphatically, "no." David replied, "What, you're going to be naughty?" Again, Eva listened to him, thought about it and said "yes." Now, tell me, how are you ever suppose to be mad at someone who is simultaneously that honest and cute?

This morning, I was picking up the house... people coming over tonight. And so I wasn't giving Eva a lot of structured attention. She didn't mind (very different from 6 months ago), in fact she very compentently entertained herself. After not hearing any sound from her for a few minutes I went to check on her, just to find that she had taken apart the picture frames in her room and was enjoying trying to figure out how to put them back together. I helped her, and gave her some attention, then left her to her own devices again. A few minutes later, it got quiet, again. I went to find her, only to discover that she had carried the tied trash bag that I had put in the corner of the kitchen into the dark spare bedroom and was working hard on getting that knot undone. Apparently she knew there was something good in that bag. What was funny was the look she gave me... she was sure I wouldn't find her in the spare room and she knew I was going to take that bag away from her when I did find her. Her expression spoke volumes. That little girl is busy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Great Kristel.

Love You