Monday, December 11, 2006

Shopping

This weekend was a lot of fun with Eva. We took her down to Fargo to go shopping on Saturday. We spent the morning playing with her and giving her attention, then left for Fargo at about her nap time. She slept for the entire 2 hour trip and woke up just in time to go out for lunch. She got an entire little cheese pizza for lunch and ate the whole thing. She was in a very good mood when we went shopping after lunch. She giggled, laughed and danced to the Christmas music.

We took her to a children's clothing store in the mall. To David's amusement, we have learned that we are raising a power-shopper. She walks into the store and picks out something she likes by the hanger, looks at it and then drapes it over her arm... she continues with clothing from the shelves, picking out whatever grabs her interest. I didn't notice... was busy picking out items and looking at them, when I hear David laughing hysterically in my ear. I look up to see Eva trucking all over the store carrying a large load of clothing she can barely see over. I catch her and put all the clothes back, and return to looking at things. Apparently, while I was doing that, Eva found the shoe display and a pair of hot pick, glittery $16 shoes caught her attention. They look like the red ruby slippers from Wizard of Oz, only they're hot pink. So, when it's time to pay, I go up to the counter and put the clothing I've picked out for her down and then look down next to me to see my daughter putting a pair of very "girly" shoes on the counter with the clothes. It seems that Eva has figured out how things work in a store... you go and get what you want and take it to the counter. They put it in a bag and you leave the store. Well... I told David to put her shoes back, because seriously, what 1 1/2 year old needs a pair of $16 shoes that she will outgrow in a couple of months, especially "girly" ones. David tells me that he has chased Eva all over the store trying to get those shoes out of her hands (this seems to have occured while I was finishing my shoping, and was accompanied with much giggling from Eva) and that since she wants them that badly, he will buy them for her. I wonder how long it will take Eva to learn that she gets a lot more when she takes Daddy shopping with her.

After shopping, we went and visited some friends in Fargo and then went out for Thai food for dinner. Eva enjoyed all of it, as expected. She even had some of mommy's Jasmine tea. I don't know many toddlers that drink and like hot, un-sweetened green teas... Eva does.

She had the best day. I was delighted because every time a strange woman came up to talk to her and spent any amount of time with her, she hid in my skirt. I love the level of attachment she has reached with me, and she is progressing through all of the appropriate stages of development. Maybe not at the appropriate age, but I am thrilled, nonetheless. She obviously trusts me to keep her safe and take care of her. Now, with men she has no issues at all. In fact, on Sunday, she fell asleep on the lap of one of her adopted grandpas. When I came to get her she cried... she was comfortable and wanted to stay. I thought it was sweet.

Eva is fianally sleeping again. I really don't know why she wasn't for the last couple of weeks, but last night she slept her normal 12 hours. She is so much happier when she gets sleep, and when she's fed and gets a lot of attention. Now, I just have to work on her taste in shoes...

No comments: