Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Why?

Eva has entered into the asking why phase of development, and I must admit that I love it. I do not think I have ever really grown out of that phase. It is something that I completely want to encourage in her, for two reasons: 1. I want her to think that I am capable and willing to answer her questions so that when she's older she will still ask me them. 2. It is the foundation of a scientific mind, and as a Chemist, this is something I very much appreciate.

So, we had a conversation this morning that started with getting ready for work and ended with a discussion of the societal evolution of mankind. It went like this:

"Eva, Come on...we need to get ready for school now."
"Why?"
"Because we're late."
"Why?"
"I spent to much time talking this morning."
"Why?"
"Because I was upset and needed to vent."
"Why?"
"I am just a little crabby and irrational right now."
"Why?"
"Because I haven't got enough sleep lately."
"Why?"
"I've been staying up late grading papers."
"Why?"
"I have to get my students grades calculated and I am behind schedule."
"Why?"
"Because it's the end of the semester."
"Why?"
"A semester only lasts 17 weeks"
"Why?"
"Because it was designed around an agricultural historical viewpoint. Education has historically been valued during the non-growing season because historically our society has grown out of an agricultural viewpoint wherein the majority of financial gain was made during the growing season, thus, limiting time that could be spent on study during the summer season."

She didn't ask why after that. Seriously though...think how much cooler our conversations would be as adults if we didn't outgrow asking "why."

No comments: