Sunday, June 11, 2006

We're actually in China!

We got on the plane in TRF at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, and got to our hotel in Changsha at 11:30 on Sunday morning. 4 planes and 3 layovers. Whew! It was a trip very reminiscent of my childhood and our two day nonstop drives up the Alaskan-Canadian highway with my two sisters and myself crammed up in the back seat of a car complaining because we were touching and breathing on each other. Only, we couldn't get off of this one.

Memorable moments:
1. David is a joy to take through security. Lights flash, sirens blare and he has to get half naked as they wand and pat search him. Apparantly the plate in his leg easily sets off the metal detectors. We got to experience this particular joy 3 times.

2. I have long heard the cliche that "It's a small world." While I completely understand the statement, and what is meant by it, I came to the forceable conclusion 16 hours into our over 30 hour travel, that the world really is not all that small. In fact it is quite huge and takes forever to fly around.

3. David made the cramped quarters of the airplanes quite enjoyable, as he made a point of using every cuddling opportunity available, and there were many. My husband really is quite a dear.

4. LAX needs lots more information signs. This conclusion was reached after 12 different people told us 12 different answers to the question, "In which terminal is China Southern found?" In fact, it is found in terminal 5, to which David had to walk about a mile on his still healing broken leg to get arrive at. We got there with 10 minutes to spare before China Southern closed it's ticket terminal. They have a policy of closing it quite early before the flight actually departs, which is why Kathy and Dave missed the flight. They will arrive tomorrow.

5. Not only did we not have any delays, but every one of our flights landed early. Also, our luggage arrived safe and sound, and not lost. Thank you for the prayers. I did learn, though, that I really did have no need to be anxious. Even when things went wrong, it worked out. And we did have some gliches, such as gate changes, canelled flight, etc. They just didn't bother me a lot, and thankfully they were all easily resolved.

6. Changsha is a delightful mix of ancient and modern. There is every kind of conveyance possible, from every historical era, on the streets at all times, together, including human pulled carts. And they all go every which way at the same time with no communication and no seeming sense. I mean everywhere, even sidewalks. I'm glad I wasn't driving, however, it is fun and amazing to watch.

7. I enjoyed flying out of TRF and seeing all the farm fields. Which, by the way, are all in perfect squares and rectangles. Flying into Changsha, I could also see the farm fields. However, instead of being in rectangles, they are in every shape imaginable, except square. I thought it was cool how those little things demonstrate such a different view in culture and philosophy.

8. The long, dreary flight was all worth it, when we walked into our hotel room and saw the crib. We get Eva tomorrow morning at 9:30 a.m. That is 8:30 p.m. Sunday evening Minnesota time.

So, I've had less than 6 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours. The question is, will I be able to sleep tonight, knowing that tomorrow I meet Eva?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet you already have her by the time I am posting this! Isn't it great to open that hotel room door and see a crib?
Can't wait to hear about meeting Eva and see pictures of you becoming parents!
Say hi to Willow and her family.
April B