Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Day 3 with Eva

Everyone woke up in a good mood this morning. Eva drank a big bottle of formula/cereal (not as thick as the orphanage workers instructed), then she had her first bath. It wasn't too bad, she was more indignant than anything else, just because I happened to get soapy water in her eyes. After the bath, we all went for breakfast and she had some congee and watermelon. She won't eat any of the breads, I don't think she likes the texture of them. Eva did a good job greeting all of her fellow diners, by waving and smiling at them. She even made sure she greeted the diners behind us, and that took some effort. It was hard to twist herself backwards while strapped into a highchair.

After breakfast, we had a scheduled sightseeing outing at the Embroidery factory. Eva and I rode in the very front, behind the driver. I was hoping that it would be more to her liking, and I don't get as car sick in the front. She still got stiff and started fussing as soon as we stepped onto the bus, but a couple magic pills (cherios) calmed her down and she enjoyed the remainder of the trip giving the back of the driver's head a nice massage whenever mama's attention was diverted. The embroidery factory was very cool. At one time there were 4 distinct types of embroidery styles employed in China. Now only two provinces still continue in the ancient methods and one of them is here in Hunan. The embroidery was amazing. They can do this cool stitch where they have a different image on the front side of a transparent silk sheet as the back side. It's very impressive. Since the outing was scheduled during her nap time, and Eva wasn't as impressed with the embroidery as mom and dad were, she decided to go ahead and take a nap in the carrier. The driver smiled at her, in an over-enthusiastic manner, when we got back on the bus and he saw she was sleeping. He is such a kind man to care so much about her sleep, although, she did wake up right as we reached the hotel.

Since Eva missed the majority of her nap, I thought it would be great for her to finish it at the hotel. I assumed because she was rubbing her eyes, doing her little suckle thing and nodding her head that she also agreed with this plan. However, the plan that she endorsed had something to do with eating cards, throwing toys and rearranging the room. During this time, Eva also made a magnificent discovery, she discovered that if she fusses, I come running. I know exactly the moment that connection was made in her head, and she tried it out several times thereafter, making sure I didn't forget the drill. She has this way of setting her chin, and giving this single head nod in emphasis to a demand. Daddy discovered this, but didn't mind since she was so thoughtful to share her cherios with him after she corrected him about where the toys should be placed. I eventually gave up on the nap idea of mine, and we strapped Eva back in the carrier and went for a walk around the block.

The walk was great. Eva garnered a lot of attention, especially since she made it a point to wave at everyone she saw. We attracted several crowds of little old ladies who came to dote on Eva. I learned how to say "Her name is Wu Yi" in Chinese. So I told them all what her name was. The only problem that I failed to anticipate, was that when I spoke that sentence so well, they assumed I could understand what they said also. Alas, it was not to be. We stopped in a few shops, and that was fun. I got to practice two other Chinese phrases that I've learned: "How much does it cost?" and "Too much," I did get a chance to do a little bartering. We also enjoyed the drivers along the way. You know they consider the sidewalk fair game to drive on around here. It's an interesting experience taking a walk along a busy street in Changsha. Eva decided to get a little more shut eye while we were walking. However, she woke up again when we got to the hotel.

It is very hot and humid here, my shirt was so wet from sweat, and Eva's suckling thing, that I could wring the water out of it when we got back to the hotel. All I could think about was unhooking that carrier and getting that hot little body away from me. Eva, however, found it rather rude to be dumped so quickly onto the bed, and decided that she should let me know what she thought about my unconsiderate behavior. I assumed she would now, want to finish her nap, since she only slept a total of 40 minutes, instead of her usual 2+ hours, and that 40 minutes wasn't even connected. She, however, did not agree with my plan yet again. In fact, she thought that the two hour walk we took around the block (It was a very big block) was a better plan, and demanded that I walk her around the room. Should I happen to put her down, sit down myself, or commit any act that did not include walking, Eva would remind me of the earlier made discovery regarding fussing and response. So, I spent another hour and a half walking, only this time in the hotel room itself. David did try to relieve me, but apparantly he didn't ask her permission about that idea, and she wasn't having anything to do with it. We walked and walked, until it was time for dinner.

We went out to the restaurant across the street from the hotel for dinner. Crossing the street here is also a unique experience that takes talent and a keen sense of timing. Cars do NOT stop for pedestrians, so you just have to get your bearings and hope you make it. We happened to run into our guide in the lobby, so he led us across the street to get to the restaurant. We had three babies from the group there, including Eva. The other two babies were wonderful. They sat quietly in the chair, ate what was given them, and even managed to keep their spaces clean. Eva on the other hand, greeted all the diners in the hall (remembering those seated behind us via her limber talent of twisting around 180 degrees while buckled into a high chair), tried to play frisbee with the dishes, jabbed daddy in the head with the chopsticks, and completed an entire scientific inquiry on the law of gravity. In between, she enthusiastically ate 1 and a half bowls of fried rice, as well as some bell pepper and a little corn. Our space at the table looked like a tornado had gone through it. However, the food was good and very inexpensive. Also, thanks to Eva, we had three waitresses standing watch behind us, whereas the other families only had one if at all. Coming back from the restaurant was fun...we had to cross the street yet again. After our entire group stood on the side of the street for at least 10 minutes contemplating the exact distance of two lanes of traffic, the trajectory and speed of odd shaped moving objects, and the meaning of life, the doorman of the hotel took pity on us and came across the street to guide us back. We did arrive home in one piece.

Finally, once we got back to the hotel room, Eva only wanted to play with her toys for about 15minutes, before agreeing to my plan to go to sleep, finally! And then there was dancing in the street... well in my heart anyway. I am happy to report that she is currently asleep. Every part of my body aches, I am exhausted and more than a little repentant. I must admit, I have known many families with children, and I have heard those familes complain at times about their children not getting their naps and not being able to do things because of that. I admit that there used to be a part of me that thought, yeah right, they're just making an excuse, it can't be that bad. I repent, I repent absolutely and beg forgiveness. Many people have told me that our lives were about to change with Eva. I expected that change, and was and are prepared for the big things. The changes that have caught David and I by surprise are the small things. Such as having to learn to whisper, eating meals in stages, and the sheer number of apologies I have to utter on behalf of a very tiny, sweet looking little being.

No comments: